This survey is full of data related to the ground objectives and all the important parameters related to the study done on the soil. The soil survey is also named as soil mapping. It is the process of characterization of soil and their properties. The basic process is to select any particular area, study it by sampling method by using various types of instruments and getting all the desired calculations necessary.
The principle used to study is soil science. As we all know, soil science includes morphology, theories that are related to soil information, geography, analytical studies done on vegetation and patterns of land.
Nowadays this survey is done in an advanced way by using advanced technologies. This technology conspires of aerial photography, digital instruments, topography, mapping keys, etc.
Components that are related to soil survey:
- A descriptive discussion about the ways to utilize the survey.
- A general map of soil that includes all the data which can be used to compare sustainability, reliability, etc. of large sections of the land.
- A detailed drawing of map with series of specific soil and detail index as well.
- Management of soil.
- Physical features.
- Descriptive tables.
- Pie diagrams, graphs that shows statistical data.
- Tables containing standards that can be compared with recorded data.
Ways to access the data of soil:
- Provision of request for data.
- Spatial and tabular data.
- Obtain data in real time.
- Spatial attributes.
- Source database.
- Bundles of results.
Basic steps to state general information:
- Use the area of interest tab.
- Click the soil map tab.
- Click the soil data explorer tab.
- Use the shopping cart tab.
These surveys are carried to help;
- general farm
- local and wider area planning
- soil quality
- few conservation and engineering applications.
The brief description about soil mapping:
- Remote sensing is generally a process where aerial photography is principal of process and other digital techniques like LiDAR are getting popular eventually.
- Initially, soil scientists used to carry hard copies along of aerial photography, charts, sheets, and keys of mapping along with them.
- But today’s scientists carry tablet computers and GPS at the field with them.
- The tablet is loaded with the required software and the have codes that analyse the data and provide the desired results.
- The information of the survey done is helpful to farmers and ranchers that further provides them data to cultivate crops or any other application.
- The survey also defines the nutrient contents in particular soil that helps to decide the type of crop to be produced on the same land.
- It also defines whether the soil is good for cultivation of crops else it used for constructing buildings or provision to store the crops produced nearby or the machines, tools required to produce crops.
Read More: Walmart survey
Soil survey is helpful to determine the soil properties and contents that either helps farmer and ranchers those produce crops or to the engineers and architects that build facilities on the same land.